I'VE GOT A GOLDEN TICKET!!!!!!--Awesome Day At The Races

June 12, 2017

Hey ya'll, it's me!

This last weekend, thanks to the generosity of friends, the Redneck, myself, along with his cousin and his wife, got to go to the Indy Race at Texas Motor Speedway.

Our friends, Kenneth and Barbara, had four tickets, and invited the Redneck and I to go with them. At the last minute, they called and said that Kenneth's dad was in the ER, so they couldn't go, but we could find two more people to go with us. Charles and Margaret were thrilled with the opportunity, so we picked them up and headed to the Speedway.

We had a VIP parking pass, so we parked right in front of the building. That was nice, but we had no idea of all the delights we were about to experience through the day.

The suite (did you get that? the SUITE!) didn't open till 3:30, so we all walked around the area, looking at the different vendors.

Charles, on the right, enjoyed looking at the workings of the new trucks.

We met and got to thank the State Troopers for their hard work.

When it was time to get in line to go in--that's when we really began to realize that we were in for a unique experience. We saw all the long lines at the different gates, over 40-50 folks in line. Then we got to the gate we were going into...10 people ahead of us. That's when I started singing, "I've got a golden ticket!" from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. 

We got inside, went through a cordoned off line, where we each got a bobble head figure of one of the drivers, then we went to the lobby that led to the elevators. We all signed in, and went to the second floor. 

We got off the elevator, and there was Dan, the concierge (did you get that? the CONCIERGE! We ain't in Kansas anymore!) We found the number of the suite, went in and...


I had no idea how elegant this place would be. Stadium seating, a bar, big televisions for a closer look at the action on the track, even the bathrooms were classy. The staff (did you get that? the STAFF!)  greeted us, asked us if we wanted anything to drink, did we need anything, etc.

Chelsea (on the left) and Sydelle were the bartenders/waitstaff. They are so nice, and were constantly asking if we needed anything, making suggestions thatr would help us enjoy the whole experience to the fullest.

The Redneck looks at home in all this luxury. The gentleman behind him is Jim Miller. I didn't get a better photo of him, darn it. Jim answered all our questions, and helped us with our pit permits.

Here we all are. L-R, Moi, the Redneck, Margaret (isn't she beautiful?) and Charles. I thnk our faces show that we are still a little shocked at how amazing this all is.

This photo is from a later time, but I wanted to be sure I got all the wonderful staff mentioned. The lady in front here is Carolyn Miller, Jim's lovely wife. 

I went to the front row of the seats, Look at the views of the track!

Then it was time to go down into the pits, where the cars nd drivers are. Jim helped us with our permits, gave us instructions to get to the tunnel, and when to be back nefore the race.

When they say the tunnel, the aren't kidding. It goes under the actual track. 

We spent some time in the pits, but I wasn't able to get really good photos while we were there. Later that evening, Margaret mentioned that racing legend Mario Andretti had walked past us. I asked why she hadn't said anything, we could have gotten a photo. She said, "Well, I wasn't sure it was him at first. I hadn't realized he was even shorter than me!" Oh well, twas not to be.

When we got back to the suite, there were few more folks showing up, and you could really start to feel the atmosphere charging up with excitement over the coming race. The staff served us an fabulous meal of brisket, fried chicken, salads, all the trimmings, and the mosr decadent double chocolate chunk brownies you can imagine. Later during the race, they even served more snacks--pretzles, chips, veggie and dip. Seriously, if were hungry after all this--it was your fault.

Before the actual race, there was a small trucks race. They zipped around the track and jumped ramps. Wow! There was a second display of this madness after the race. Kewl!

The race was exciting. I had never realized just how intense it gets on the track until I saw it for real. There were a few wrecks, but all the drivers came out safe. By the time it all ended, I was wiped out.

We said goodnight to the wonderful staff and thanked them for all their hard work, then headed back to the real world. After we left Charles and Margaret's place, we drove home and around 2 a.m. Sunday morning, we were safely back in our little peice of the planet. I took a shower, and passed out for several hours. 

I enjoyed it so much, and I have a new understanding of what makes racing such a great sport. We may never get another chance to view it from a suite, but I'm pretty sure we will be making a budget category for another trip to the Speedway someday!

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© Evelyn Edgett 2017